Whether you are a Windhoek local and staying put for the festive season, or if you are fortunate enough to have booked holiday accommodation in this friendly city, there are a number of options to keep you busy during your December break.
If your boots were made for walking you can take a hike at any of the following places for a day filled with sunshine, birdlife and tranquillity to get into a relaxed frame of mind –
• Avis Dam, located just 5km outside of the city
• Von Bach Recreation Resort and spa, an hour’s drive away
• Krumhuk Farm, 25 km to the south of Windhoek is just the place for a relaxing walk in nature followed by a cup of coffee and delicious cake. Bookings are essential.
More active adventurers can head to Equitrails just 15 kilometres north of Windhoek for horse-riding in the spectacular Eros Mountains.
Are you looking to keep the younger set entertained? The Go Karting and Laser Tag arena is at your service every day of the holidays apart from 25 December, while Archers Land is open right the way through except for 25 – 28 December.
If it’s a ‘splurge’ or some window shopping that you are after, then one of Windhoek’s Malls is always a good option for a day out. Located in the centre of town you will find many of the top retail shops at Maerua Mall, along with a great range of restaurants when hunger strikes; plenty of options to keep old and young amused. The Mall even has a Ster Kinekor theatre showing the latest blockbusters.
Plenty of the local restaurants will be cooking up a storm as usual over the busy season, and some are even putting on a Christmas lunch spread for an extra treat. Make a reservation at one of the following if you would like some time off from the kitchen this 25 December, you know you deserve a special treat.
- Arebbusch Travel Lodge’s ever-popular Christmas buffet lunch featuring scrumptious meat, fish and vegetable dishes, is on offer once again.
- Ekipa Restaurant is featuring a full buffet with all the trimmings for Christmas dinner.
- Kokerboom Restaurant at the Windhoek Country Club is going all out with both a Christmas lunch and dinner this year.
When New Year rolls around, you can paint the town red at a number of parties, but the biggest has to be the City of Windhoek’s annual New Year’s bash with its music, fireworks and non-stop action to see the old year out with a big, big bang.
Be sure to book your spot in Windhoek soon for a merry and memorable festive season this year.
Image credit: Alan Cleaver