Not everybody visits Namibia for the luxury accommodation and safaris. Those who come to Namibia on a camping trip in order to experience nature without the air-conditioning and flush toilets, need to come prepared. The desert means that the climate will fluctuate between extremes of hot and cold, abundant wildlife means something very different when you are not in a safari vehicle guided by a ranger with a gun.
The remote nature of the country means that when travelling around you do need to be well equipped.
With this in mind camping trips in Namibia are exceptional experiences, listening to the insects at night, stargazing in Africa’s only dark sky reserve and enjoying natural surroundings that feel untouched by mankind.
As long as you are prepared this can be one of the most fulfilling experiences of your life.
Remember to pack:
- Water: Namibia is a dry and remote country; take enough water to sustain you for days.
- Be prepared for the sun: sunscreen, hats, sunglasses and shade netting
- Be prepared for the cold: high quality sleeping bags, warm clothes
- Petrol/Diesel: Namibia is a large country with a small population so make sure you will not run out of petrol on long stretches of road.
- Gas stoves/lights:
- Insect repellent
- Rehydration salts and other basic medications including a first aid kit.
When preparing for a camping trip to Namibia it is important to remember that this is not South Africa and it is certainly not Europe. The low population in Namibia is a striking feature, and you will notice it most of all if for any reason you get stuck somewhere on a road and need help. It could be days before anyone passes by, it is therefore best to be prepared for every possible eventuality.
Please Note: The details shared herein were correct at the time of publishing. However, with time some of this information may change. We recommend confirming information with suppliers prior to making final travel arrangements. If you do happen to find an issue with any information we’ve shared here, please feel free to contact us so that we can make the relevant changes.